Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 1

The Quick Stats:
Days I've had Vibram Fivefingers: 1
KMs Run in Fivefingers: 0
Longest run in Fivefingers: NA
Love/Hate? Undecided

Wow... is the floor in here ever hard!

That was my first thought this morning when I tried on a pair of Vibram Fivefingers for the first time. I wasn't expecting to find any real padding, but still - I was blown away by the fact that there is absolutely none. I walked around Trailhead and marveled at how I could feel every little thing beneath my feet. I was in the same moment both smitten and scared. I've always made sure my trail shoes have a rock-plate/snake-plate/bullet-proof-feel-no-stones-plate in the past, and now here I am, trying on the antithesis of the cushioned and protected shoe.

The saleswoman at the store - an ultra runner herself - told me of another local ultra runner who was doing some runs in these shoes and loving it. That made me feel a bit better.

First Impressions...

I'd gone to the store during lunch, and put the Fivefingers on the moment I got back to work. Walking around suddenly became different. I had to consciously work on not heel-striking, and was sure I looked awkward if not flat-out-funny walking down the hall. I can only imagine what running will be like - and I'm wondering if a jaunt on the basement treadmill isn't the way to go first time out.

After an afternoon of walking in them (not too far - around the office, and the 1km walk to my car after work) - I'm really liking them. I'm still somewhat scared of how the first run will go, but that won't be until tomorrow at lunch - I've decided I'll try a very short run then and see how it goes. Maybe I'll take a late lunch - when there's less people milling about to humiliate myself in front of.

Day 1 - final thoughts...

My feet are not exactly sore - but I can feel them. I'm working hard at not hitting with my heels, but I'm sure that will come with time. So far, so good. Let's see how tomorrow's run is!

No comments: